System of systems is a collection of task-oriented or dedicated systems that pool their resources and capabilities together to create a new, more complex system which offers more functionality and performance than simply the sum of the constituent systems.
Systems of systems claims that most thought processes, quantitative analysis, tools, and design methods are incomplete. The methodology for defining, abstracting, modeling, and analyzing system of systems problems is referred to as system of systems engineering.
IBM has analyzed that in 2011 the business value of world wide systems was about 54.000 billion USD. It can be assumed that in 2018 the market gap for all systems thinking activities could be about 100.000 billion euros.
GoodReason recommends cognitive tools for the idea system of systems as well as practices for everybody to use, as we use symbols of language to presents sentences.
Hard systems are most often technology, and soft systems are typical forms of social environments, including humans and artefacts. Furthermore, software systems (IT – applications) and hardware systems (electronics) are specific types of systems.
Fig 1. shows the early beginning of a system in a person’s mind. Let’s discuss climate change.
1. The first thing to know for a new system is normally a concept or a symbol, or something textual (phase 1), or some initial comprehension.
2. User starts to formulate it step by step by adding approaches, dimensions and actors. CATWOE is one example of how to make roles for the systemic topic. Fig 1. the system gets new dimensions, use cases, approaches and point-of-views to study.
3. There are certain types of systems to classify the captured concept.
4. The identity graph of GoodReason is grateful for understanding systems identity rather early in the process.
5. GoodReason matrix (one example) is expressive for figuring out a business context of a company. The terms come from the most relevant dictionary of that discipline.
6. The viable system model (VSM) helps in understanding viability and sustainability of the system as a service architecture.
7. The small picture shows a bus, which connects information between many objects.
8. The last figure is a telecommunication system for security of USA. The point here is that using simple primitives it is possible for the student and practicial to gradually learn to extend the knowledge step by step for planning infrastructures, big projects, anything. It is the idea of this GoodReason web portal, too.